We are no longer accepting internship applications for Winter 2012, as the deadline was January 9, 2012.
Have you ever wanted to write and edit for a global feminist blog? Here’s your chance! Gender Across Borders (GAB) is seeking a talented intern as an editor-in-training (“Junior Editor”) to contribute to our growing dynamic organization. GAB is an international feminist community where issues of gender, race, sexuality, and class are discussed and critically examined. We embrace people of all backgrounds to come together to voice and progress positive gender relations worldwide.
We are looking for candidates available for Winter 2012 for four months—starting at the end of January to the end of May 2012. We strongly encourage people of color and from outside of North America to apply for this position. (**Note: You can absolutely apply for this job if you live in a country other than the United States. In fact, we highly encourage it!)
- Write for GAB at least once a month based on a topic or field of interest in the realm of global feminism. One of these posts will contain an interview with someone within the field of global feminism or of related interest.
- Copyedit other author’s articles
- Collaborate with other Junior Editors (JE) to create a series for a topic that is yet to be determined
- Organize a one-day series on a field of interest of the JE’s choice in which the JE will go through submissions, edit, and curate the series
- Attend monthly GAB conference calls via Skype with all of the other editors.
- Independent, hard-working, organized, and experienced with a background or strong interest in the feminism and women’s rights.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Knowledge of blogging is not mandatory, but highly recommended.
- Must commit to six hours per week for four months in which time will be spent on writing, editing, and administrative work.
- Interns may extend their internship beyond four months if performance is excellent. Successful work could lead to a Senior Editor position.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Responsible and reliable.
- Must be at least eighteen years old; everyone over the age of 18 is welcome to apply!
- This is a virtual internship. You must have a good connection to the internet and access to a computer.
Internship positions are unpaid (in fact, all positions at GAB are unpaid—this is a “side” job that we do).
For consideration, please email a cover letter, a current resume, a brief writing sample relating to gender, and/or feminism (2-5 pages), and two references (letters of recommendation are not necessary) to info@genderacrossborders with “Junior Editor Application: Winter 2012” in the subject line. The deadline for this application is Monday, January 9, 2012 by 10pm PST.