Hey Global Feminists!
Below are a list of links to blog posts and news stories about what other global feminists have been up to this past week. But we also want to know: what have you been reading/writing this week? Share your own link love in the comments!
- Rwanda: Civil Society Wants Abortion Decriminialised - “As Parliament continues to amend the Penal Code, civil society groups are calling on legislators to decriminalise or at least lessen the punishments handed to women caught in acts of abortion.” (European Pro-Choice Network)
- Refugee Rape: The Hidden Side of the Famine Crisis (AlterNet)
- Rethinking Contraception and Infection Risk - “Hormonal birth-control injections may double a woman’s risk of contracting HIV and passing it on to her partner, according to a new study. The research comes at a time when many governments are looking to scale up their family-planning programmes in a bid to reduce maternal mortality.” (allAfrica)
- Pakistan: Two films about street harassment (Stop Street Harassment)
- Ten Years Late – The “Liberation” of Afghan Women (Feminist Peace Network)
- UK passports to become gender-neutral, offer gender-netural parent options (Fuck Yeah, Gender Studies)
- Weight loss ad slammed as ‘insult to women’ (AsiaOne)
- Au Revoir, Coccinelle (TransGriot)
- Peru Police Save 293 Women from Sex Traffickers (Latin American Herald Tribune)
- Saudi women can’t use photos in election: scholar (Emirates 24/7)
- Among 3 Women Awarded Nobel Peace Prize, a Nod to the Arab Spring (NYTimes)
- Here’s Why Little Girls’ Sexy Halloween Costumes Are Terrifying (Pigtail Pals)
- Women Are The Real Victims Of The So-Called ‘Men’s Crisis’ - “It’s not your imagination. Young women really do have to work harder than guys in order to receive equal treatment, a long-held suspicion confirmed by two recent studies.” (Jezebel)
- Occupy Wall Street Comes to Canada October 15 - “ The rallying cry of this revolution is “We are the 99%!” Women are 52% of the 99%, and it’s our future too.” (Gender Focus)
- A feminist with body image issues: not mutually exclusive categories (Abortion Gang)
- A Conservative Ruling: Australia High Court On Trans Identity (The Bilerico Project)
- Narrowing gender gaps enhances productivity (Pambazuka)
- Non-Traditional Teaching Promoted for Girls (IPS)
- Marcha de las Putas: Slut Walking Crosses Global Divides (On the Issues) – “Slut Walks are building on a long and complex history. In the 1970s, women took back the night; now, in addition to taking back the night, Slut Walkers are taking back the day.” An interesting look at the complexity of the global movement Slut Walks.