Hey Global Feminists!
Here are a list of links about what other global feminists were up to this past week. We also want to know: What have you been reading/writing this week? Don’t forget to spread your own link love in the comments!
- Decolonising African Feminism (AWID)
- Sudan: Thousands Struggle to Survive As Kalma Aid Cut Off (allAfrica News)
- African Thinkers on the Origin and Relevance of Ethnic Identity (Global Voices Online)
- Malaysian state OKs underage marriage for mothers (Reuters AlertNet)
- Korean Ideas of Beauty (Cookie’s Beauty Blog)
- Mormon, and feminist too (The Guardian) “People ask, “Are you a Mormon feminist? Or a Feminist Mormon?” implying that one group must ultimately claim my loyalty over the other because these beliefs seem so discordant to them. My answer is usually just, “yes”.”
- Gay Marriages Must be Honored by All States Says Mexico’s Supreme Court (Care2)
- Brazil: The Indigenous, The Internet and Interculturality (Global Voices Online)
- Saba Mahmood, “Feminist Theory, Embodiment, and the Docile Agent: Some Reflections on the Egyptian Islamic Revival” (MRZine)
- Egyptian woman will make history at Youth Olympics (Muslim Women in Sports)
- Beautiful Poverty (Blood and Milk) “Aesthetics are seductive. It is hard not to like something because it’s pretty. That can lead you all sorts of terrible places; it can lead you to mistake tragedy for authenticity. It can make you think there is some value to authenticity when people are starving. It can lead you to take gorgeous pictures of the countryside without ever realizing that you are documenting a quiet horror.”
- Survivors Are So Sensitive (Shakesville) “I don’t understand—and I don’t believe I ever will—why anyone wants to be the person who sends that shiver down her spine, who makes her eyes burn hot with tears at an unwanted memory while everyone else laughs and laughs.”
- white not whatever (天高皇企鹅远) “As a light-skinned Chinese woman living in Australia, I feel the pressure to be light-skinned at exactly the same time as I feel the pressure to be tanned”
- Call for submissions! (Happy Bodies) At my home blog we are asking for submissions for an upcoming series about identity: “When did you know you were ______?”
- Women not included in HIV/Aids decision making says UNIFEM (womensphere)
See more global feminist news on our facebook page, twitter and tumblr. If you ever have suggestions for GFLL (whether they are your posts or someone else’s), feel free to email email@example.com.