Are you a global feminist and enjoy writing? Have you always wanted to learn what it’s like to be an editor for a blog? Well, here’s your chance!
Gender Across Borders is currently looking for a junior editor (note that this is different from the performance arts internship). The position description is below and the application for consideration is due by Monday, February 8. All internships may be completed from your home computer anywhere in or outside of the U.S. We expect all of our interns to be familiar with global feminist issues.
Junior Editorial Internship
- Write for GAB at least once a month.
- Find contributing writers to write for GAB.
- Assist executive editor in going through submissions by possible contributing writers.
- Create a “series” which addresses a specific theme related to global feminism in which you will:
- Find writers to make submissions for the series
- Edit and post articles for the series.
- Edit articles written by contributing writers.
- Socially-network through Twitter and Facebook with other global feminists by posting GAB posts and other relevant articles.
- Attend monthly GAB conference calls with all of the other editors and record minutes.
- Maintain spreadsheet of contributing writer contact information.
- Self-evaluate progress through regularly tracking and reporting of work hours.
Excellent writing skills are required. Knowledge of blogging is not mandatory, but highly recommended. As stated above, we expect all of our interns to be familiar with global feminist issues; therefore, please be prepared to explain why you’d like to be an editor for a global feminist blog. Must commit to four hours per week for four months. Interns may extend their internship beyond four months if performance is excellent. Specific start and end dates are flexible.
Internship positions are unpaid (in fact, all positions at GAB are unpaid—this is a “side” job that we do).
Apply To: For consideration, please email a cover letter that includes the dates that you will be available, a current resume, a brief writing sample relating to gender and/or feminism (2-5 pages), and two references (letters of recommendation are not necessary) to Emily Heroy at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Junior Editor Application: Winter 2010” in the subject line. The deadline for this application is February 8, 2010 by 5pm CST.